Wednesday, May 16, 2007

A Trip Into Ecuador's Amazon


On our way to the Amazon, Tim and myself found the remnants of a recent volcanic explosion.


This picture of Matt sort of summed up our elation at breaking free from the city of Quito and finding the road less traveled.


My first taste of live ants. These small lemon ants actually taste just like lemons. They can be found in the leaves of certain trees there. It is an interesting symbiotic relationship they share with the tree they live in. The lemon ant gives off a toxin that is a repellent to other foliage and allows the tree to take roots uninhibited, while the tree provides shelter to the ant.



Matt and I crossing a stream.


What's a trip into a jungle without a ride on a vine? Well, shortly after this photograph was snapped I crashed into that tree. So much for my claim of being one of Tarzan's long lost relatives.


I read a quote once, "The best things in life aren't things." Here's the proof. This waterfall showered us from about 200 ft. It was a moment of pure elation, where all you can do is laugh hysterically and enjoy. I felt a million miles away from it all. I'm glad to have shared it with such good friends.

No comments: